Author: Knowledge Management in CACILM Phase II, ICARDA.
Definition of approach:
The described approach promotes establishing of the contractual relations between rural committees and local authorities with a purpose of implementation of the decentralized management of the tugai forest on state stock lands.
Brief description of approach:
The inundated forests are subject to the overexploitation due to deforestation and cattle pasture.
Protection of the tugai forest and involvement of local land users for assistance in protection of the forest were priority tasks of the UNDP Project entitled «Demonstration of local approaches to cope with land degradation and improvement of sustainable management of land resources in the southwest of Tajikistan».
1) Representatives of the UNDP project carried out discussions with local users of the tugaI forest concerning establishment of communal committee of forest management. Three rural Committees were established 2) Following the initiative of UNDP communal committees concluded agreements with Hukumat (local authority at regional level) on rent of 126 ha for a period of five years for the purpose of protection and effective use of accurately defined forest sites of the state stock.
3) UNDP together with jamoat (local authority at municipal level) obtained permission from Hukumat to carry out the sanitary thinning of trees. The cut wood material was provided to schools and hospitals as fuel.
According to the Contract, the Rural Committee pays US$ 1.73 a year per ha to the region for a rent as a tax, which is raised from members of the committee for each cattle head grazed in a rate of US$ 1 per month (the territory is used as a pasture only 3-4 months a year).
Tasks of interested parties: Rural committees are headed by the representative responsible for control of access to the forest sites. Local jamoats control of activity of rural committees. UNDP renders consulting services in process of establishment of the contractual relations between rural committees and local authorities, and carries out monitoring of forest management.
Location: Nouri Vakhsh Dzhamoat (village), Hatlon.
Area of approach application: 1,26 km2.
Stage of intervention: alleviation / reduction of land degradation.
Main land use issues and the main causes of land degradation:
Uncontrollable access to the tugai forest caused degradation, pasture overgrazing, cutting down of trees due to the lack of fuel resources.
Purpose of the approach:
Improvement of conditions of the tugai forest through involvement of local population in the process of management and use.
Impact of technology
- formation of individual and public responsibility at local population for a condition of the forest;
- strengthening of social communications (between people, economy and state policy);
- improved quality of pastures on forest sites;
- ensuring sustainable management of natural resources.
- there is no guarantee of owning and using this land as the government can sell the land any time.
Acceptance/adoption of technology: The approach has not yet received a wide implementation
Reference(s): WOCAT Database. Approach code: TAJ025r. Compiled by: Roziya Kirgizbekova. Date: 02.02.2011.
Name of person (s) collected this description: Tatyana Hamzina, Chief specialist on soil reclamation studies and irrigation regime. UZGIP LTD.
Address: 44, Navoi str., Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
Tel.: +998 90 9945654