Author: Knowledge Management in CACILM Phase II, ICARDA.
Definition of approach:
Protection and restoration of the state forest based on joint longterm agreements between the State forestry committee and local forest users.
Brief description of approach:
The joint management of the forest means participation of nongovernmental organizations and local users in management of forestry on the basis of the contract with a duration of 20 years in the frame of the Tajik legislation. As the first step, a protection from cattle over-grazing should be constructed.
1) meeting with representatives of villages;
2) oganizing information seminar;
3) receiving consent of all community;
4) selection of tenants and division of sites;
5) signing of contracts with individual tenants;
6) development of management plans and annual plans for each tenant; and
7) control of annual plans.
Role of interested parties: the annual plan is based on the 5-year management plan for the corresponding site. It defines amount of works which the tenant should execute, and also crop yields and their shares which will be received by the tenant from the used area. The lease contract, the management plan, and the annual plan are mutually coordinated by the forest tenant and forestry committee. The state forestry committee is responsible for control and technical consultation.
Location: Ishkoshim, Roshkala, Shugnon, Gorno-Badakhshan Autonomous Province (GBAO).
Area of approach application: 20 km2.
Stage of intervention: alleviation / reduction of land degradation.
Main land use issues and the main causes of land degradation:
The limited management and control capacity of the State forestry committee, together with accruing need for firewood brought to uncontrollable „open access“ in the inundated forest of GBAO. Local people use forest resources unsustainably, including uncontrollable deforestation and overgrazing. This led to large-scale degradation of resources of the inundated forest.
Purpose of the approach:
Protection and restoration of the state forest on the basis of long-term contracts between the State forestry committee and local users of the forest.
Impact of the approach
- formation of individual and public responsibility at local population for a condition of the forest;
- benefit from a legal access to forest production (firewood, construction materials, fruits, etc.);
- ensuring sustainable management of natural resources.
- it is impossible to implement this approach without initial financial support;
- during the initial stage of rent the benefits received from the use of the forest are insignificant (especially firewood).
Acceptance/adoption of technology: The approach has not yet received a wide implementation.
Reference(s): WOCAT Database . Approach code: TAJ 015r.
Compiled by: Firdavs Fayzulloyev. Date: 27.04.2011.
Name of person (s) collected this description: Tatyana Hamzina, Chief specialist on soil reclamation studies and irrigation regime. UZGIP LTD.
Address: 44, Navoi str., Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
Tel.: +998 90 9945654